Friday, October 19, 2007

How I spent my Birthday







I spent the day with a russian dollmaker, learning to make the traditional Russian dolls. When the workshop was over I presented the teacher with one of my "Budddies" doll pins. She was so surprised.. Since I don't speak Russian, I didn't know exactly what she said but her smile and a hug said it all. It is a terrible picture of me!!!!... The end of the day and the hair was a mess, but Leanne is wearing the pin... and that was the purpose of the picture. Made me happy.
One of our local quilt shops invited the russian quilters/dollmakers (about 20 I think)for a week long event. Their quilts and dolls were on display and there were workshops going on all week, The teachers didn't speak english so interpreters were provided. No cameras were allowed in the main displays, .
I wish you could have seen the quilts. They were magnificent. This event drew busloads from as far away as California.The little town of Ailsa Craig hosted the event (population 900) It was a lark.
Anyway when I got home my DH had my wine glass chilled and I looked forward to putting my feet up!
I treated myself to a pair of Russian Dolls, and I also bought a sterling silver thimble and Thimble holder..(Pictures will follow to-morrow)So that was my present to me!! DH and I were at a gallery opening last Sunday and I fell in love with a small beaded doll mounted in a frame. That was his gift to me.
I must remember to get a picture of that too.
So there.... A perfectly wonderful day.

3 comments:

Gypsy said...

Oh Maggie, that must have been a blast!!
And from seeing the Russian instructor, I now know where parts of my 'body parts' come from-ethnically! LOL!

Fannie said...

Hi, Maggie,

Happy Belated Birthday.
I am a Newbie at FAT. I like your Russian dolls and enjoy reading your posts at FAT.

Fannie from Texas

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fun BD ... the dolls are sweet! Happy BD!