Friday, October 19, 2007

Russian Dolls



The large dolls are the ones I bought. Aren't they unique! The history of the dolls is so interesting, The earliest ones had no features since the belief was evil could enter through the eyes, Later on some did have embroidered features but the eyes were always done in the shape of cross, to repel evil.
The small family(Mama,papa, and baby) and the angel were the ones I did in the workshop. The fabric is folded and held in place by thread , no sewing is done. Of course this was my first effort so it looks messy, The "boobs" have a meaning too ....larger is wealth and small is poor, and 2 different sizes mean lots of children! I guess my woman is wealthy!!VBG.
The tiny one is a necklace. The teacher was wearing a necklace with several dolls attatched.

4 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Maggie, Love the Russian dolls. You have been MEME Thingy. Hugs Judy

Maggie R said...

Thanks Judy, It was a memorable experience!
What did you mean by"MEME Thingy?"
:0)
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Hi Mags.... I realise now that I have seen these Russian dolls before but not realised they were Russian. They are cute and your little family all tied together are adorable. what a great way to spend your birthday.
Mary S

Jo Anne O. said...

Hi Maggie! I really like these dolls...how fun to have been able to learn a traditional art from the actual source! LOVE the fabrics on the Russian made dolls too...ohhhh...I need to go to Russia even MORE now! :o) Jo Anne